Thursday, March 18, 2010

Min/Max Makes Edy Wanna Choke A Gnome

It's been a while since I've just been irritated by min/maxing to the point I wanted to post about it but today happens to have just pushed me over my limit. I just don't understand why people are so insistent on wanting EVERYBODY to do the same thing to their characters just 'cause some guy with a calculator said doing X instead of Y would make you some number you wont even notice better and more uber than all the other uber peoples that you see. Then you can just prance around those people, e-peen flappin' in the breeze, making fun of them cause they aren't a carbon copy of you and the people you copied cause it's the "it" thing to do until the next patch or item drop says you must switch to this spec and spend thousands of gold on regemming, chants, and Advil for the headache you just gave yourself.

Breath.

Now that's off my chest I need to be clear I in no way shape or form have a problem with min/max-ers or their spreadsheets (even if they DO make my eyes glaze over). What I don't like about min/max is the pressure it tends to put on the rest of the player base. So you aren't doing what elitist jerks says is the flavor of the patch for your class, does that mean you aren't doing it right? If your numbers look good then I say do what feels good. For example I know that the wolf is supposed to be the it pet for the raiding hunter. I like my cat. Snuggles and me been doing our thing since I been playing and personally I don't want another pet with me as it makes me feel off when I play. Does that mean I am doing something wrong? So I am losing around 120 dps on paper but for me my computer isn't top of the line so I am prone to lag spikes. My cat does more dps himself than a wolf on a target so maybe for me my kitty is a better choice for the way I play. I caved and got a raid spec I think I conformed enough to get by. My spec isn't perfect but I like it, I don't worry about armor pen or stuff like that (I value what little sanity I have left) , and though I might like to be on the top of the charts in my raids as long as I am showing numbers where they are supposed to be I see no reason to give up little things I do in my class that make it more fun for me just to see numbers on a chart.

Now that I've blown off my steam for the "best hunter pet" article I just read and have begun to lose my train of thought again I will call an end to my rant. Happy fun hunting!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you and I have to be honest, not everything that has been published works out the way that is claimed, but I will leave that for others to sort through.

    I think you want to stay in the know of what is currently working for a class, but this is also a game and when you start having to get spreadsheets, calculators, pencils, erasors, and have a degree in mathematics to figure shit out, it is becoming a job. A job that we do not get paid for.

    I get paid plenty of money at my job to crunch numbers. You want to talk about an "iron condor," and have the money to match the talk, I will gladly sit down and help you out. However, when you start applying that type of calculation to a game, to me it is not worth it.

    So player, play on!

    ReplyDelete